Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Post 11: U2

I attended the U2 360 degree Tour last night at the Gillette Stadium. I will be honest I am not an avid U2 follower but I have always heard they put on amazing shows so I figured why not and go. What I was treated with was excellent music, a decent (yet overly pushy) crowd, but more importantly there was something in particular in the show that I found amazing. It dealt with their “Free Burma” piece in which the leader of Burma has been held under house arrest for the 20+ years of her presidency. She fights for the freedom of her people and country, and I wouldn’t have known about the issue if it had not been for U2 and their message (along with their typical support) of Amnesty International, Greenpeace through to DATA, ONE, (Product (RED) and the Chernobyl Childrens Project. ( more information can be found here: http://www.u2.com/heartsandminds/ ). Their message and song was so powerful that it took even the most pushy and belligerent person, and reduced them to tears and contemplation.

After some research of these programs they support, I came to realize that through the many layers of media (television, internet, radio, podcasts, music, videos, interviews, Apple, etc) they have preached their peace-laced message of love and acceptance so much over the past decade that I felt really inspired to write about it and give credit where it is due.

U2: Thank you for helping open my eyes just a little wider, to see what is happening around the world that I would otherwise be ignorant of. Your message last night was well received.

No comments:

Post a Comment